January 1, 2015

Rangihoua Heritage Park, Oihi, Bay of Islands

The ecumenical Marsden Cross Trust completed this $10 million project encompassing 20 hectares adjoining the site of the Marsden Cross at Oihi, commemorating the bicentennial of the arrival of Rev Samuel Marsden and his first preaching of the Gospels at Christmas 1814.

Rangihoua BayFreemasons Foundation has funded the Portal, the main entry to the Park, with a “Welcome” sign, two sentinel poles and concept boards explaining the nature and background of the project.

The new Park, 35kms from Kerikeri, was officially opened by the Governor General, Sir Jerry Mateparae on the 21st December, with a service on the site on Christmas day.

Leave a Reply